Monday, June 29, 2015

Motivation Media

As a PT student I noticed that we often mention the importance of motivating patients to continue to strive for long term goals even if they do not always see the results. Especially with goals like weight reduction. 
Because of my body type I tend to fluctuate around the 71kg mark. (Oh my the internet knows my weight.) So I know it can be tough to get to a target weight or better look and then keep it. But I don't have a trainer or a therapist to keep me motivated. Like most people, I have to motivate myself to stay on track more than anything else. 
But it's far less likely than I just made it sound! Because of this wonderful resource called the Internet and a big big thanks to smartphones, there are so many sources of fitness inspiration. Here are my favorites: 

Pinterest: I've been addicted to Pinterest for DIY projects and recipe ideas for months, but recently I noticed just how many exercises and healthy eating posts and even boards that combine the two. Naturally I started a board full of fit young women who I would like to look a little more like, exercise programs and routines to draw from to target my personal problem areas and healthy tidbits about what to eat and when to eat it when they stumble across my path in the black hole that is Pinterest long past the time I meant to be asleep.
Pinterest is also a great platform for anyone trying to switch up either their workouts or their diet, or even both. Not to mention that there are so many budget friendly tips and workouts you can do at home or at the park without fancy equipment. 

Twitter: I'm not the best at reading or posting on Twitter, but there are so many inspirational people to follow and this is where the modern phone technology really comes into play: it is always a tip of the finger away and can be set up to send you push notifications if you want them. 

Instagram: This is a recent find! And if I am being completely honest, partially the inspiration for this post. But I have also been following some yogis because there is something so harmonious about yoga. Not to mention that it is one of the few forms of exercise that include the whole body and all muscle groups in nearly equal amounts. But the pictures of course bring a whole new light to following inspirational users because yoga also offers so many poses to strive for in the larger goal. 

Fitness apps: The sheer multitude of apps available for the various operating systems on the market is astounding. I have a windows phone and quite like the health and fitness app that came with an update a while back. I did use it to log my food intake for a while, but I find that its focus on calories is a bit one sided. I wish they would also show vitamins and minerals especially over longer periods of time because I try to eat a little different every day, but I clearly have several staple ingredients that I eat most often. This app however has wonderful articles on a wide array of topics. 
Now there are plenty of computer programs with the same functions. The app I mentioned ear
Ire as an example is also available for windows computers, but as a desktop owner and user I find that there are days when I do not turn on my computer at all, making it impractical for any kind of daily logging. This is the other beauty of using a smartphone. I, like so many others, am rarely all too far from my phone so it is a quick action to log what I just ate of what workout I just did if I want to keep a log. And if I want to work out but am not sure where to start or need a little kick I can find my motivation. 

There are also tons of apps that communicate with special watches to track your running rout of the calories you burned beaded on your pulse. This is more for the enthusiasts that are looking to take it a step further, while it does interest me, I've not played with it any more or looked more closely at this option I just wanted to include it as I've stuck with the example of fitness goals. 


I tried my best to keep this concise but still detailed enough. Now I stuck to the idea of fitness and body image type goals, but don't let that hold you back, there are all kinds of other goals that can be inspired by social media and the Internet just as well. What do you strive for? And what keeps you motivated?  

No comments:

Post a Comment