Friday, October 24, 2014

Clean Cosmetics- Where to Begin?

I've been thinking a lot about synthetic ingredients and natural cosmetics. I once had a rule of thumb to only buy things where I could pronounce the ingredients and avoid everything with long or weird names that only dermatologists and chemists would recognize. This quickly unraveled because there seemed to always be something.
The next option would be to minimize the number of things that cannot be pronounced in one take, but where the line should be drawn is always rather fuzzy. And what if the list is endlessly long?
So like I mentioned, lately this topic has caught my attention several times. And I know it is a bit of a trend to watch out for silicons, sulfates, parabens, mineral oil and aluminum salts. But what does that mean? Why those things? And as if those five things weren't enough once you start looking you find lists of 10, 15, 20 things to avoid. Should I write them down for the next time I'm out shopping? Its a mess!
Maybe focus on what is really bad for me and what is just highly complex. A simple Google search will bring up plenty of of credible sites with great tips that make it seem so easy. But if you are shopping in a plain old drugstore and reading all kinds of labels and trying to remember 15 things to look out for you might wish you had an eidetic memory and the powers to quickly crosscheck all of those pages you had read last weekend.
To get to the point: I really have been making an effort to pay attention to the products I buy and even more so to those that I use on a daily basis and repurchase regularly. It's not easy and it takes more time. These products tend to be more expensive, but that investment is one I personally am willing to make. And most importantly I believe it is doable, and I want to get better at picking out the toxins that I don’t always realize are there.
I'm curious what you think about this. Please leave a comment with experiences or tips! I would much appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment