Sunday, November 23, 2014

As the Days Grow Shorter and Colder

All I want is soup! I love cold crisp weather when I can put on layers and layers of coziness to cuddle up in. But there is something incredibly soothing about warmth from within, specifically from a hot meal. And nothing warms quite like soup. My personal favorites being any kind of chunky stew or miso soup. I know they are very different, but both are delicious. I also find them fitting for very different situations, and staying with the chunky stew something filling, warming, comforting and delicious that has a magical way of also not breaking the bank and being a great way to use up little bits and bobs that need to be used up before they go bad. what more could you want? Oh did I mention that it is also really healthy with fiber, protein and fresh veggies. Before I start, this can be varied in so many ways that the options are endless and you rarely have to go get groceries before starting.
First a nice flavor base for the broth. I started with one finely chopped onion and some sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. once the onions start to go clear I added some bouillon cubes and let that simmer with the occasional stir.


Then I add everything that takes a while and plenty of water. Potatoes are a must, and butternut squash (or any other winter squash or pumpkin) and lentils or beans go really nicely too.





While that comes to a boil I chop like a champion. This here is tomato, zucchini, eggplant, carrot, and mushroom. Along with that some spices for example fresh ginger and turmeric along  with the classics: salt and pepper. I also added a can of chick peas. Any kind of bean or pea out of the can should go in close to the end, whereas dried beans that have been soaked need to be added earlier so that they can cook through.
I garnished my soup with some plain yogurt and smoked paprika which made for a lovely finishing touch. I was also able to eat from this big pot about four times and give my roomie some. Something this delicious and Nutritious always hits the spot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment