Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Fall Foods

I have shared my excitement for fall so many times now, but once more: I love fall! and I love fall food! These are all seasonal and mostly local foods. I think it is obvious that the pomegranate is the odd one out as they do not grow in Germany as our climate is not suited. But I bought one to treat myself the other day. And I checked; they are in season.
Apples and pears and winter squash are all seasonal local foods right now that have me very excited for Thanksgiving. This year we are once again planning a potluck style dinner in my friend group. We did this last year because why not? And it is a great excuse to get everyone together. So if you are away from home and want to celebrate Thanksgiving with people you love and who love you do it. Just gather up everyone else who doesn't have anything better to do.
Pomegranates, oranges, clementines and the like are also very present in grocery stores now, but they have a very wintry vibe. So as delicious as all of those are, I am far more excited about the local foods right now. Also because these are delicious foods that can be and are grown in my area! And that is something for me to get excited about. Also this kind of harvest festival reminds us to take a look at what we eat, and for some of us that also means where that food comes from.
Happy Thanksgiving eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment