Sunday, November 16, 2014

Veggie Burgers

Hey there. I know I disappeared for a week, but I was on break from school and internship shenanigans. I did actually put a lot of thought into weather I was going to take this completely off or continue blogging, and chose this first because I was working at my side job and doing lots of things so I took the time for me to recuperate and am coming back full force. So from here on out the goal is once again posts every Sunday with eventual bonus posts during the week. And I have lots of ideas!

I love me some veggie burgers. I was watching YouTube videos and saw several videos from Sorted food as part of their #BeatMyBurger line and remembered some wonderful black bean burgers I made a while back. I don't however remember the exact recipe so I winged it with this one which has more texture and a wonderful flavor. So firstly, I cooked some black beans the day before so they are not quite as soft as those from a can, but both work just fine.
First I took about 1 cup of green Spelt. (This is a common ingredient here, but far less popular in the United States. I recommend checking natural food stores) and about the same amount of hot broth, or just enough to cover the spelt well so it can soak up most of the liquid. This takes about 15 minuets. Once it is finished and the spelt is softened and the broth liquid is mostly absorbed about 1.5 cups of black beans with some of their cooking liquid and any spices go in. I have here from the top left some sun dried cherry tomatoes finely chopped, salt, freshly ground black pepper, fresh herbs, coriander and cumin.


 At this point I used my hand to mix and mash everything really well, but with canned beans they might be easier to mash with a potato masher before adding. My mixture was a little too runny, so I added 2 Tbsp of fine oat flakes to thicken it up. If it is too thick , just add little bit of water 1 tbsp at a time.






then I just spooned the mixture into a hot pan and let both sides get nice and crispy. They do hold up really well and do not need any egg to bind everything making these delicious burgers vegan! So these are done now and I am just going to take the patties and some salad with lots of fresh veggies to work with me tonight. You could of course add a bun and the condiments for a more traditional burger if that suits you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment