Thursday, December 11, 2014

Veggies in Bread

I have always liked baking my own bread and rolls, but I don't have the time usually. But it is possible and tastes great not to mention that I always know exactly what is going into the food i am eating.
Now we all know that whole grains are better than white flours and organic is better than conventional so organic  whole grain bread has got to be amazing. As it turns out, its not that simple. Firstly, not all grains are created equally and secondly grains that are high in gluten tend to create more sourness in the body when they are being digested. I have been thinking about this a lot lately because I want to eat more alkaline building foods. So the next step was to try making bread that was more alkaline.
I went for a basic recipe with spelt instead of wheat for a start and then added quite a bit of grated zucchini. The result form this experiment was delicious but very dense and moist. Thankfully I didn't make all too much, but it got me wondering a few things:
1. How much grated veggies can I put in my dough before it greatly changes affects the texture?
2. How can I make this taste just a little bit better? Because there are so many other things that should shift the scales towards the more alkaline end that sound delicious.
So I figure that I would not post the recipe because it needs improving, but it seemed worth posting about because it has occupied my thoughts. So please please let me know if you have tried something similar and have any tips. Also what is your take on alkaline diets? I have mixed feelings but I want to try this out and see how my body responds. If you want more posts like this one or about nutrition let me know.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment